The genesis of the Department of Statistics dates back to 1983 when it first offered the Bachelor’s degree in Statistics. The department grew by leaps and bounds under the guidance of committed teachers who served the department. Late Dr. Chandrakant V. Mandlik, Late Prof. Rajendra L. Amdekar, Prof. Jayashree V. Vaze and Prof. Ajit P. Limaye taught passionately for more than 30 years.
The department takes pride in the achievements of its students who join leading universities for post-graduation. Also, a large section of our alumni holds prestigious positions in national and multinational companies in various fields like insurance, finance, banking sectors, risk management, education, biostatistics and development of statistical software.
Statistics is a discipline that involves the collection, organisation, analysis, interpretation and presentation of data from diverse fields. Hence the Department focuses on building theoretical concepts of students through application of statistical tools and techniques. Therefore, the department develops not only a theoretical insight into the subject but also sharpens applied skills aided by computational techniques. Students are trained to handle the data using statistical packages by working on various projects.
The department is a part of renowned Star College Scheme initiated by DBT to encourage more students to take up higher education in science from the academic year 2019-20. Many activities such as ‘Visual Storytelling’, ‘Exploratory Territory’, ‘Something Extra’, ‘Statistika’ etc are organised by the department which encourage students for ‘hands on’ experimental science and improve critical thinking.
The department has taken a step forward and has started post graduate course in Statistics in the academic year 2021-22 which offers a thorough professional training which prepares students to embark on statistical careers in a variety of areas.
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Ms. Chhaya S. Pinge (Head)
Department of Statistics,
4th Floor, Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College,
Opposite Ghatkopar Railway Station,
Ghatkopar West, Mumbai 400086, Maharashtra, INDIA.
Department of Statistics has a departmental library having more than 100 reference books. The students have access to the central library as well as departmental library. Updating is done on the recommendation of the faculty members as well as library committee. The library also subscribes periodicals and magazines.
- 10 Computers
- 1 laptop
- 1 projector
- 2 printer
- 10 programmable calculators
Jio Leased Line connection (50 Mbps)
- SWAYAM (Free Online Education)
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning)
- ePathshala (A Gateway to all Postgraduate Courses)
- Virtual Lab (A Initiative of MHRD Mission on Education through ICT)
- KHAN Academy (Free World Calss Education Resource)
- GOORU (Gooru is a search engine for learning)
- Spoken Tutorial (Spoken Tutorial Resources)
- MITOPENCOURSEWARE (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Carnegie Mellon University (Open Online Learning)
- Academic Earth (Online lectures of World’s Top Universities)
- Harvard University Channel
- Yale University Online Courses
- edX (Great Courses from the worlds best Universities)
3,684 total views, 10 views today