The Department of Zoology at R.Jhunjhunwala College, Ghatkopar, Mumbai was established in 1963 and the postgraduate courses were introduced in 1967. The department offers undergraduate (B.Sc) course in Zoology with Environmental Science (EVS) as an Applied Component. The B.Sc course includes topics on Classical Zoology, Molecular Biology, Genetics, Wildlife, Applied Zoology to name a few. The students can pursue postgraduate (M.Sc) courses with specialization in Animal Physiology and Oceanography. The PG syllabus also includes a course in Biotechnology.
These courses are aimed to make the student competent to achieve their goals in the field of research, entrepreneurship and various competitive exams.
The department also offers Ph.D course in Zoology. The department has been endowed with prestigious Star Status in 2018 by DBT. The department organises various curricular and co-curricular activities for the students throughout the year under the aegis of ‘’DBT-ZOO-FEST” to enhance their skills.
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr.(Mrs). Pratibha Sardesai
Department of Zoology,
1st Floor, Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College,
Opposite Ghatkopar Railway Station,
Ghatkopar West, Mumbai 400086, Maharashtra, INDIA.
Apart from the Central Library on the third floor there is also a Departmental Library on the first floor. The Departmental Library has more than 500 books and on an annual basis new books are purchased on recommendations by students and teachers.
There are about 7 computers in the department for the use of PG students and staffs. The UG students can avail the facility with prior permission of the authority.
Jio Leased Line connection (50 Mbps)
All the labs are equipped with projectors and LED forICT learning. There is a Central instrument facility with various equipments ranging from analytical balance to Foureir transform infrared spectrophotometer.
There is fish museum with more than 100 preserved specimens.The general museum has a display of specimens ranging from non-chordates to chordates and vertebrates. Most of the specimen has QR coding for e-learning purpose. There are also slide cabinets with many biological specimens for study purposes.
- Laminar Airflow
- UV Visible Spectrohotometer (single wavelength and double wavelength)
- RiOs-5 Water Purifying Unit (Millipore)
- HPTLC (Camag)· BOD Incubator (Hally)
- Vertical Gel Electrophoresis Unit (Techno Source)
- Horizontal Gel Electrophoresis Unit (Techno Source)
- Refrigerator Centrifuge (Remi)
- Table Top Centrifuge (Eltek)
- UV Illuminator
- UV Visible Illuminator UV 254·& 366
- Vortex (Remi)
- Weighing Balance (0.000gm to 200gm) (Shimadzu)
- Light Microscope (Olympus)
- Stereo microscope (LAB MED )
- Homogeniser·Automated sensor for measuring water parameters
- pH meter
- Conductivity meter
- Magnetic Stirrer· Rota evaporator
- Water bath
- Hot Air Oven
- Muffle Furnace
- ELISA reader (Bio-Rad).
- SWAYAM (Free Online Education)
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning)
- ePathshala (A Gateway to all Postgraduate Courses)
- Virtual Lab (A Initiative of MHRD Mission on Education through ICT)
- KHAN Academy (Free World Calss Education Resource)
- GOORU (Gooru is a search engine for learning)
- Spoken Tutorial (Spoken Tutorial Resources)
- MITOPENCOURSEWARE (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Carnegie Mellon University (Open Online Learning)
- Academic Earth (Online lectures of World’s Top Universities)
- Harvard University Channel
- Yale University Online Courses
- edX (Great Courses from the worlds best Universities)