The Department of Biotechnology has launched Star College Scheme with an aim to strengthen life science and biotechnology education and training at undergraduate level. The purpose is to improve critical thinking and ‘hands on’ experimental work in the cutting edge-technologies needed for modern biological studies at undergraduate (college) level in life sciences and as a result of such experiences, more students will take up life science as a career. DBT has identified colleges with ambition and potential for excellence and provide academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and unique exposure of students to experimental science. The scheme gives much needed boost to young scholars and faculty at under graduate level especially in semi urban areas that include far off cities and towns. The students get an opportunity to excel in their career in life sciences and biotechnology.
The criteria for participation is that the college must be among those offering top three life science undergraduate programs in the respective city based on
Cut off percentage for admission to undergraduate courses in Life Sciences,
Result of undergraduate course – pass percentage, percentage of 1st division candidates and
No. of faculty with Ph.D. Private colleges are not eligible.
- To strengthen the academic and physical infrastructure for achieving excellence in teaching and training.
- To enhance the quality of the learning and teaching process to stimulate original thinking through ‘hands–on’ exposure to experimental work and participation in summer schools.
- To promote networking and strengthen ties with neighbouring institutions and other laboratories
- To conduct specialized training programmes for faculty improvement for optimizing technical capabilities
- To increase capabilities of core instrumentation resources by procuring new equipment and upgrading of existing facilities
- To provide access and exposure to students to research laboratories and industries in the country
- To help in devising standard curricula and Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) / kits for practicals
- To provide better library facility to students and teachers
766 total views, 10 views today