The Department of Biotechnology at Ramniranjan Jhunjhunwala College, Ghatkopar, Mumbai was setup in 2002 in response to the drive to initiate Biotechnology based programmes at the undergraduate level. The Department offers both undergraduate (B.Sc) and postgraduate (Ph.D) programmes. The B.Sc programme covers diverse but key courses from biological and engineering sciences that help the students to understand how the science of lives could be utilized to meet the challenges in current and future technological endeavours.
The Department of Biotechnology established undergrduate course in 2002 and post graduate course were introduced in 2005. The department was granted recognition for admiting students for M.Sc (By Research ) and Ph.d in 2008.
HEAD OF DEPARTMENT
Dr. Sucheta Golwalkar (Head)
There is a separate Library for Biotechnology. The students have access to the Central Library as well as Departmental Library. The Departmental Library has more than 600 books. Updating is done on the recommendation of the faculty members as well as Library Committee. The Library also subscribes periodicals and magazines.
- Computer : 9
- Laptop : 2
- Projector : 2
- Printer : 2
- Xerox : 1
Jio Leased Line connection (50 Mbps)
- Plant Tissue Culture Lab
- Animal Tissue Culture Lab
- Bacterilogy Lab
- Biogas Unit
- Composting Unit
- ELISA Reader
- CO2 Incubator (Sanyo)
- Horizontal Laminar Airflow (Technopak)
- Vertical Laminar Airflow (Technopak)
- UV Visible Spectrohotometer (Jasco)
- RiOs-5 Water Purifying Unit (Millipore)
- Gel Document System (Uvitech)
- HPTLC (Camaz)
- PCR (Uvgene)
- BOD Incubator (Hally)
- Paper Electrophoresis Unit (Techno Soource)
- Vertical Gel Electrophoresis Unit (Tarson)
- Horizontal Gel Electrophoresis Unit (Tarson)
- Distillation Unit (Remi)
- Refrigerator Centrifuge (Remi)
- Table Top Centrifuge (Eltek)
- UV Illuminator (Biometra)
- UV Visible Illuminator UV 254 & 366 (Aetron)
- Power Pack Consort E815 (Care Biomedicals)
- Vortex (Remi)
- Weighing Balance ( 0.000gm to 200gm) (Shimadzu)
- Light Microscope (Olympus)
- Inverted Microscope (Metzler Biovision) etc.
A candidate for being eligible for admission to the Three year Integrated course leading to the degree of Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) must have passed Higher Secondary School Certificate Examination (Std.XII) in Science conducted by the Maharashtra State Board of Secondary and Higher Secondary Education or it’s equivalent in Science stream. Admission will be on merit, based on order of preference as follows:
- Aggregate Marks at H.S.C. or equivalent.
- Aggregate Marks in Science Group (Physics, Chemistry and Biology).
- Marks in Biology and Chemistry.
- Marks in Biology.
A candidate who has not offered Mathematics and Statistics as one of the Subject at H.S.C. (Std.XII) shall have to satisfactorily complete a course on Mathematics and Statistics (of 15 hours duration) during the academic year of First year B.Sc. in which he is admitted.
Circular: No.UG/294 of 2009, Dated 28thJuly, 2009
A candidate for being eligible for admission to the M.Sc. degree course in Biotechnology must have passed.
The B.Sc. (Three Year Integrated course) degree examination of this University or (any other University recognized as equivalent thereto) with at least Seven Units in Biotechnology ( i.e. the minimum required for majoring in the subject).
With Three Units in Biotechnology at the T.Y.B.Sc. in combination with Three Units of any other major subject at the T.Y.B.Sc.
The students will be admitted to the M.Sc. degree course in Biotechnology on the basis of the marks obtained at the T.Y.B.Sc. examination
- SWAYAM (Free Online Education)
- NPTEL (National Programme on Technology Enhanced Learning)
- ePathshala (A Gateway to all Postgraduate Courses)
- Virtual Lab (A Initiative of MHRD Mission on Education through ICT)
- KHAN Academy (Free World Calss Education Resource)
- GOORU (Gooru is a search engine for learning)
- Spoken Tutorial (Spoken Tutorial Resources)
- MITOPENCOURSEWARE (Massachusetts Institute of Technology)
- Carnegie Mellon University (Open Online Learning)
- Academic Earth (Online lectures of World’s Top Universities)
- Harvard University Channel
- Yale University Online Courses
- edX (Great Courses from the worlds best Universities)